St Lawrence, Hertfordshire - Shaw's Corner
House of George Bernard Shaw
Click on photos to enlarge
Built in 1902 as the New Rectory it
was designed by local architects and used
local materials. It was soon felt to be too large for
a small parish and it was rented by George
Bernard Shaw in 1906. He subsequently purchased it and lived there until
his death in 1950. He presented it to the National Trust during his lifetime.
trees at the bottom of the garden, Shaw's 6ft
square writing hut. It could be turned to follow the sun. He used it
regularly and also as a retreat from unwanted visitors; the housekeeper
could say truthfully that Mr Shaw was out.
National Trust Website for the house contains many details on the life
of Shaw and his wife at the house, as well as photographs of the interior.