Fleet, All Saints Church
Astoft

Fleet - All Saints Church
with a very slight Jane Austen connection

The photos on this page were taken in July 2014
Very sadly, the church was badly damaged by a fire in June 2015

Details Here
         
Fleet, All Saints, Lefroy monument - Jane Austen connection
         
  This impressive monument in the equally impressive church represents Charles Edward Lefroy (1810-61) and his wife Janet Walker. He founded and paid for the church but died before it was completed. He was a barrister and Secretary to the Speaker of the House of Commons.

Jane Austen met him when he was five years old and was uncertain about him. She wrote in a letter to her niece in 1815:
" - we thought him a very fine boy, but terribly in want of Discipline. - I hope he gets a wholesome thump, or two, whenever it is necessary."   (Jane Austen's Letters, ed. Deirdre Le Faye)

More of the monument at the bottom of the page.
 
         
         
  Click photos below to enlarge.
Notes below in italics are from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd (1967)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.
 
         
Fleet, All Saints, west end          Fleet, All Saints Church          Fleet, All Saints, chancel exterior
         
Fleet, All Saints, apse                    Fleet, All Saints, nave north
         
  ALL SAINTS, Church Road. By Burges, 1861-2, lengthened to the W in 1934 by A.J. Stedman (by two bays). ...The church is of red brick and externally astonishingly restrained. Good steep bellcote over the E end of the nave. Lower chancel and apse. Lancets and plate tracery all of brick. Most windows are leaded, those in the apse and west front are stained glass (see below).  
         
Fleet, All Saints, north door          Fleet, All Saints, north door tympanum                    Fleet, All Saints, south door tympanum
         
  Tympana of Transfiguration over the N door (originally at the W) and of Christ in Majesty over the S door. Like the Lefroy monument probably by Thomas Nicholls.  
         
Fleet, All Saints, interior looking east
         
Fleet, All Saints, north arcade          Fleet, All Saints, nave vault          Fleet, All Saints, vault
         
  The interior is impressive by the great height of the nave, with the square brick pillars and the steep pointed transverse brick arches. Between them the vault is boarded. Much painted-on decoration of blue brick bands and geometrical ornamental motifs.  
         
Fleet, All Saints, interior looking west          Fleet, All Saints, rose window
         
  Looking east from the chancel. Although the nave was extended west in 1934 the rose window of 1906 by A.L. Moore was retained.  
         
Fleet, All Saints, north arcade and aisle          Fleet, All Saints, north aisle          Fleet, All Saints, organ
         
  1. North arcade  2. North aisle  3. The Organ  
         
Fleet, All Saints, chancel interior               Fleet, All Saints, apse north window          Fleet, All Saints, apse central window          Fleet, All Saints, apse south window
         
  The stained glass in the apse windows are by Clayton and Bell and dating from 1902.  
         
Fleet, All Saints, Lefroy monument
         
Fleet, All Saints, Lefroy memorial arch          Fleet, All Saints, Lefroy statues          Fleet, All Saints, Lefroy monument dogs
         
  MONUMENT. C.E. Lefroy 1861, and wife (Janet Walker, died 1858). They were the donors of the church. It was originally on the N side of the chancel. Recumbent effigies under an arch with large carved angels. Watch for the two dogs by the feet of the effigies.
Lefroy is holding a model of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
Born 1810,  he was a barrister and became Secretary to the Speaker of the House of Commons.
 
         
  Map  
         

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full resolution originals are available for approved purposes.