Astoft

 

Overton, Hampshire - St Mary Church

Notes in italics from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd (1967)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.

Overton Church, Hampshire

Externally all is Victorian, the ashlar W tower (rebuilt in 1909) and the flint nave and chancel
But internally the story is different, early and late medieval - see below

         
  Click on photos below to enlarge  
         
         
P8033254-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.3t5-q50.jpg (81711 bytes)     P8033261-transf-soft-varlt-u2-h540-u0.3t5-q50.jpg (81183 bytes)     P8033257-varb-u2-720-u0.3t5-q30.jpg (87793 bytes)

  The modern but well-harmonising church rooms date from 1998  

 
P8033278-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (85911 bytes)     P8033266-transf-varlt-vary-u2-720-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (74468 bytes)     P8033264-transf-vary-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (81734 bytes)

Internally there is more to keep one occupied. Three-bay N and S arcades of c.1200. Round piers, square but chamfered abaci, multi-scalloped capitals, pointed single-chamfered arches.


P8033279-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (66064 bytes)          P8033284.-transf-vary-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q50jpg.jpg (66524 bytes)

     
Base of piers. Pulpit and view from pulpit.

P8033285-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (80101 bytes)              
         
  North aisle looking east and west (with reset medieval lancet)  
         
P8033282-transf-soft-varlt-varyr-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (71396 bytes)              

   

The next element in terms of chronology, is the chancel: mid C13 according to the plate tracery (in chancel north window). The single-frame roof with tie-beams may well be contemporary. The chancel was lengthened c.1500.


 
 P8033283-varlt-vary-u2-720-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (76964 bytes)    P8033280-soft-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (77810 bytes)     P8033275-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (69312 bytes)     P8033269-vary-varr-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (73760 bytes)

View from chancel through the nave to the west tower. The W tower is c.1500, and so are the W bays of the two arcades, built to connect the old nave with the new tower. Only the typically Dec arch from the tower to the S was re-set. Where was it originally?


          P8033273-transf-crop-varlt-u2-h560-u0.5t3-q70.jpg (59353 bytes)

The door of the south entrance may date from about 1350-1400. The door is unusual in that it folds in the middle. 


   
         
         
  Court Farm House, W of the church. Five bays, two storeys. The middle bay projects a little and carries a broken pediment. Hipped roof. The frontage is mainly header bond. 18th century. However, the rear of the house reveals early 16th century timber construction.  
         
Map


Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size originals (3-6 megapixels)  are available for approved purposes.